Wednesday 15 August 2012

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter


Directed by Timur Bekmambetov, known to me for Nightwatch, Daywatch and Wanted, I thought it had a reasonable chance of being good.

Not being from the states myself I didn't know too much about Lincoln (my American history is not so good but something I really want to get to grips with!) and therefore don't really give a crap if someone's going to initially write about then someone else make a film about him being out of the prowl looking for vampires to destroy. Not altogether sure how the Gettysburg stuff would have gone down with those who are from the States though.....

Benjamin Walker, relatively unknown to me, does a great turn as the man himself, and along with Dominic Cooper has some fantastic action scenes (never before have I wanted to learn how to weapons train with a massive axe) but the real star to me is Mary Elizabeth Winstead (ah Ramona.....) who adds a little credibility to a storyline which is in one word ludicrous.

I didn't really see the need for any of the 3D, yet another film jumping on the bandwagon when there was nothing that it would add.

If you're going to watch this in the hope it will be some sort of cinematic masterpiece you'll be really far off, but if you want to see a load of vampires get killed by an Abe wielding an axe, or you'd like to see the most ridiculous chase of a vampire over horseback then this is your film.

Enjoyable if you're not taking life too seriously, although it looks like the director did. No tongue in cheek which it could have possible done with a massive dose of.

I'd give it a 3 out of 5, watchable, enjoyable to a point. I'd rent it but I wouldn't pay for it (again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment